Futurex supplies compliant and streamlined solutions for securing data in both private and public educational institutions. From secure storage of academic records to authentication of research data, Futurex technology can provide educational institutions with turnkey and effective solutions for their data security needs.
The Need for Protection of Education Data
Educational institutions of all types, from independent school districts to colleges, collect vast quantities of information: recruitment and enrollment data, academic research, financial records, and Personally Identifiable Information in the form of names, addresses, and billing information. This information is highly valuable to the institution as well as to those who would access that data without authorization. To protect against data breaches, regulations such as FERPA and PCI DSS have mandated a priority on securing sensitive information controlled by educational bodies.
Advantages of Hardware-Based Encryption
Hardware-based data encryption is a reliable means of preventing the breaches and attacks that can result from improperly secured data, as well as an important tool in creating an accessible and secure data infrastructure. Privacy and security regulations that are imposed on academic institutions require that data be kept safe as well as accessible should records be requested for review or modification. This accessibility is available through hardware-based data encryption, along with an unparalleled degree of security.
Hardware-based data encryption offers a multitude of advantages, such as purpose-built physical, logical, and encryption-based security; tamper resistance and responsiveness; disaster recovery and redundancy, and more. The degree of security that accompanies hardware-based data encryption solutions is unrivaled, providing all academic institutions with data encryption solutions that are impervious to both human interference and natural disaster.
Futurex Solutions for Academic Data Security
Futurex technology is versatile, compliant, and scalable enough to protect sensitive data for any academic institution. The following are just a few of the ways Futurex can secure your infrastructure at the source:
- Secure Records Storage – Any depository of personal student information, such as academic records or personally identifiable information, is particularly valued for its black market value. To keep this sensitive data secure, Futurex offers tokenization solutions that reduce risk while maintaining access for authorized users. Rather than store important data in the clear, tokenization utilizes identifying text strings, or “tokens”, for storage. To retrieve stored data, the relevant token is sent to a hardware security module (HSM), which returns the requested data in a secure manner.
- Protection of Research Data – Research requires large investments in time and resources to produce valuable findings, often at the expense of governmental agencies and other funding bodies. As a result, some individuals and organizations seek to complicate such investments by accessing, and sometimes sabotaging, the research of others. To ensure the authenticity of research, Futurex provides digital signing services via the KMES Series or Excrypt SSP9000, devices capable of providing the asymmetric keys and certificates for document authentication.
- Prepaid and Identification Cards Issuance – Futurex card issuance and management solutions provide institutions with fast, convenient, and secure means of producing both prepaid and identification cards. These cards can be used to increase the convenience and security of on-campus transactions and identity authentication.
Educational Institution Solution Suite
Encrypt, manage, and store high volumes of your sensitive data in Futurex’s best-in-class attached storage solution
- Support for multiple separate databases within a single SAS9000 unit
- Adjustable, customizable role-based separation of duties
- Automatic hard drive replication and advanced hardware redundancy features
- Ten hot-swappable storage bays
Industry-leading technology for financial and general-purpose transaction processing and data security
- FIPS 140-2 Level 3 and PCI HSM-validated
- Standardize HSM infrastructure onto a single platform
- Scalable up to 2,250 transactions per second
- Process EMV, RSA, P2PE, tokenization, and mobile transactions
Integrate small form-factor encryption devices directly into a variety of environments for on-site data security
- Supports all common key types and protocols
- Optional external self-contained enclosure
- Optimized size, weight, power, and cooling characteristics
- Supports mutual authentication under a trusted root certificate
Kryptos TLS Server
Safeguard your sensitive data with Futurex’s general-purpose data security solution for protecting transmissions between remote locations
- Seamless integration into any existing infrastructure
- Encrypts a wide variety of data types
- Protects transmissions over TCP/IP (Ethernet)
- Hardened steel interlocking rack mounted case
Simplify your system from one location with monitoring, alerting, load balancing, data replication, and more
- Centralized management for Futurex devices
- User-defined grouping system
- Easy-to-understand, user-friendly operation
- Customized notifications and alerting options available
- Intelligent load distribution and automated failover
Excrypt SSP9000 Enterprise
Protect your sensitive data and transactions with industry-leading security in the fastest payment HSM in the world
- Up to 8,000 transactions per second (TPS)
- Meets or exceeds industry compliance standards
- Allows for up to four separate data processing environments within a single physical platform
- Increases the overall speed and functionality of your HSM network