Improve your security posture with cloud cryptography
Cloud Cryptography – A foolproof solution for your cloud security needs
Cloud computing enables customers to store, process and execute applications on the Internet. Cloud services address unique security challenges because cloud operators can quickly deploy and configure cryptographic services to address a wide variety of use cases, from security and data protection to cryptographic key management.
To that end, Futurex is pleased to announce significant enhancements to our VirtuCrypt cloud service. With secure data centers in strategic locations around the world, VirtuCrypt is a truly global cloud encryption platform.
VirtuCrypt: the next big step forward
VirtuCrypt is Futurex’s cloud HSM and key management service. It is powered by FIPS 140-2 Level 3 and PCI HSM validated Futurex HSMs. Users of VirtuCrypt are able to quickly deploy a vast range of cryptographic functions, such as financial transaction acquiring, card and PIN issuance, and point-to-point encryption (P2PE). VirtuCrypt offers disaster recovery, automated failover, 24/7/365 support, and the ability to spin up HSMs on demand.
Ryan Smith, VP of global business development at Futurex, had this to say about the recent enhancements. “We have been working with the financial services industry for more than 40 years. We’re proud to announce a range of groundbreaking enhancements to our VirtuCrypt financial cloud HSM, delivering on our commitment to meet the security and compliance needs of financial services organizations worldwide.”
Flexible and compliant cloud cryptography
VirtuCrypt is developed and manufactured entirely by Futurex, with zero reliance on third parties. It offers native integration with major public cloud providers. Futurex maintains worldwide data centers, elevating VirtuCrypt to a truly global cloud cryptography solution. Smith said, “It’s easy to take out a contract for space in a commodity data center and throw some HSMs in a rack…but that’s not a cloud HSM service; that’s co-location with some fancy marketing wrapped around it.”
The VirtuCrypt cloud complements Futurex partner IT infrastructure in the following ways:
- Cloud enablement: VirtuCrypt’s high level of compliance, scalability, and flexible integration options with cloud computing infrastructures make it easy for financial organizations to migrate critical infrastructure to the cloud.
- Hybrid deployment: Cloud HSMs deployed in VirtuCrypt use vendor-neutral APIs – including the RESTful web API – to reduce integration effort for organizations retaining on-premises HSMs.
- Native integration: VirtuCrypt offers native integration with payment applications running in public cloud providers like Amazon Web Services (AWS), Azure, and Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
- Redundancy and agility: Users can spin up cloud HSMs on-demand and scale them as needed. Futurex’s global data centers provide full redundancy, with an SLA-backed uptime of 99.999%. Say hello to comprehensive cloud security.
- Broad compatibility: Futurex is a registered Encryption Services Organization (ESO) serving all major financial organizations, as well as payment device manufacturers. Support for all common cryptographic algorithms is a given.
Channel partner benefits
Financial services organizations depend on HSMs to secure their most sensitive data. They require high levels of security, compliance, and a wide range of functionality, such as:
- PIN translation and verification
- CVV generation and validation
- EMV validation
- Message authentication code generation and verification
- Key management
- Mobile payment processing.
In addition, banks, ISOs and payment service providers use HSMs to issue cards and provision mobile payment tokens. Retailers who use terminals that support remote key loading don’t have to ship terminals out to an ESO for re-keying. The VirtuCrypt cloud handles all of these functions, providing tremendous value to clients.
Smith pointed out that, when payment processors use cloud HSMs, they get to focus on core business instead of managing IT infrastructure. This reduces the chance of outages, streamlines operations, and reduces costs (especially CAPEX and OPEX). These benefits can be passed down to ISOs and their customers, Smith added.
“VirtuCrypt services have data centers worldwide, and certifications include PCI DSS, PCI PIN, PCI P2PE, and TR-39,” Smith said, noting that VirtuCrypt is a platform-agnostic way to deploy cryptographic services across a range of financial use cases and architectures.
Cryptography in the Cloud: Securing Cloud Data with Encryption
Are data privacy concerns compromised by cloud computing?
The Internet has introduced new technologies to help virtualize cryptographic protocols and perform many different functions simultaneously. Cloud cryptography users do not require on-premises infrastructure and have prepaid usage rules. However, cloud storage is vulnerable to cyber-attacks and users may be victims of such attacks. However, relying on Futurex’s physically and logically secure technology to protect encrypted data in the Cloud can ensure enterprise-wide data security.